Saturday, August 28, 2010

Front page

No, obviously not THE front page.  But for a short time one of my pieces was featured on the on-line front page.


Just there in the beige bar on the right, fifth item down, it says "Blog: the science of bicycle lanes".  That's my blog post!  I'm sorry if you can't quite make it out - that's as big as I can make it.  Bet you wish you had an iPad now and could just stretch it and make it grow to your heart's content.

In other news, I did the research behind another graphic that I didn't get a print credit for.  This one's a bit more stupid, I thought.  The story was about the first full sequencing of a wheat genome.  This is big news because it opens up the potential for genetic modification to develop hardier types of wheat that can grow anywhere and solve all famine ever.  Or at least that's how the news editor wanted to spin it.  So we had to have a graphic showing that hungry countries rely on wheat.  But they don't, they generally rely on maize, rice and cassava. 


The graphic is all made up from real data. It's just a bit selective.

No comments:

Post a Comment