Saturday, September 4, 2010

Science news

The Times have being giving a LOT of space to Stephen Hawking's new book recently which they managed to obtain exclusive advanced access to.  How exciting for one of the science correspondents to be on the front page on both Thursday and Friday this week.


Although absolutely nothing to do with me, it was great to see how much encouragement and congratulations the correspondent involved got.  Lots of people dropping by to say well done, lots of enthusiasm from the editorial people, lots of requests for follow up ideas. 

This particular science correspondent has a PhD in medical physics and was a BSA media fellow four years ago.  Hmmm.  Maybe that will be me in four years.  Maybe....  I still need to catch her to find out about exactly how she went from PhD at Cambridge to front page of The Times. 

So with everyone else busy thinking up new angles on the 'god unnecessary for universe' scoop, guess what yours truly got to do?  The other science lead.  Oh yes I did.  And a story on a Newcastle scientist to boot.


The press officer from Newcastle even contacted me to congratulate me on a piece well done - some of the better coverage of the work and great publicity for the Institute of Ageing & Health and for the University, apparently.  I'm trying to think that I am finally making progress.  But I think everyone else was just too busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment