Saturday, September 11, 2010

Home

Yesterday I spent another inordinate amount of time trying to get out of London.  I had that awful heartsink moment when you arrive at King's Cross to see your train cancelled.  Somehow I managed to wangle myself onto one of the very few trains that went beyond Newark on the East Coast Mainline last night.  It certainly wasn't the train I was supposed to be on, but it's not like there were any staff on the train.  Would you believe someone stole some overhead cables in the Newark area?  Who would do that?  On a Friday afternoon of all times.  Who is it who has never been away from home and got to the station only to find their train cancelled?

But I'm here all in one piece with all my stuff and even a little bit of a refund from East Coast coming my way. 

Would you like to see some of the lovely things that confirm I am definitely home?





Hmmm.  Washing on the line, sheeps in the field, blue skies and green for as far as you can see.  Doesn't it all just make you glad to be alive?  We spent this afternoon picking brambles from the hedgerows in the lanes around and about our house.  Now there is a big pan of bramble and apple mush in the bottom oven that we will strain overnight and make into jelly tomorrow.  Oh how idyllic it all is.  How very different from smelly old London.

On Monday I leave for the British Science Festival in smelly old Birmingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment