Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birmingham

Well it sure is nice to be back in student accommodation.

Actually it’s not that bad. Positively luxurious compared to the accommodation that I lived in when I was a real student. For instance, there is a shower and toilet in the room (obviously not just in the middle of the room...) and the toilet paper has an absorbency rating higher than tin foil.

Yesterday afternoon we had a little induction to the British Science Festival Press Centre from the people at the British Science Association. It is clearly fairly well kitted out with equipment, but not so well with windows. Right now it is all very unglamorous.

I haven’t been told very much about what I’m supposed to be doing over the next few days. But I’m getting the feeling that it involves going to press conferences 0845-1300, then writing something from them. I’m not sure how much writing or how many of them will be written on. In fact about all I have been told is “it’s very busy, you need to get there early”. I'm thinking that the fact that the science editor and science correspondent and me are all going says something about the level of coverage that might be expected. But it might not.

We were also given our press passes which, slightly disappointingly, don’t actually say PRESS on them. I’d really been looking forward to having a card I could stick in my hat band. I have no idea why it says ‘speaker’ on it. Whatever else I am doing, I am definitely not speaking at this conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment